On Sunday 12 March 2006 01:56, Kito wrote:
> I'd like to see this discussed more, Glep47 was proposed, but I'm not
> sure its robust enough to handle all the potential situations.
A feasible corner case example would be helpful here.

> >    * gnu commands that confilicts with solaris ones (only the core
> > ones) are installed under /usr/gnu and they are not g- prefixed (I
> > find a big thread about this, can anyone resume the results if a
> > common line has been chosen?)
> I still prefer the use flag and have it left up to the profile/user
> to decide.
I was thinking for a while about this, and I have a sort of idea that should
work _but_ requires at least a change to 2.1 portage for Gentoo/FreeBSD...

Provide two useflags: gnu-altdir and gnu-binprefix, masked in default-linux
profiles (so that users doesn't get unexpected situations), the first tells
the ebuild to install in an alternate location (/usr/gnu for instance), while
the second would prefix with a "g" the name of the command.

When the two useflags are disabled, the packages will block systems' packages,
example from a possible coreutils:

!gnu-altdir? ( !gnu-binprefix?
( !sys-freebsd/freebsd-bin !sys-freebsd/freebsd-ubin !sys-freebsd/sbin
!sys-freebsd/usbin ) )

Which change to portage is needed? A per-package use.force support: for
example in Gentoo/FreeBSD, sed should _always_ be -gnu-altdir +gnu-binprefix,
so we need a way to force this to users.

Remains a problem for things like bsdtar that has a different logic and needs
prefix on default-linux and not on freebsd, but not a big deal.

Is this flexible enough?

--
Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/
Gentoo/ALT lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, AMD64, Sound, PAM, KDE