On Thursday 07 July 2005 22:42, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 10:52:06AM -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> > > strlen(EBUILD_FORMAT) * 19546 = 249K
> > > strlen(EAPI) * 19546 = 77K
> > > strlen(EV) *  19546 = 39K
> > >
> > > Where 19546 is the number if ebuilds in the tree as.
> >
> > So, the size of the tree is 500216K. This makes the percent increase
> > in size for the options above 0.0005%, 0.0002% and 0.0001%
> > respectively. In any case, nearly irrelevant to its present size.
>
> Probably should count some more formatting too.
> strlen(EBUILD_FORMAT="") = 16, 16 * 19546 = 306K
> strlen(EAPI="") = 7, 7 * 19546 = 134K
> strlen(EV="") = 5, 5 *  19546 = 96K
>
> Don't just count the 4K blocks. Count the actual data instead (du -b).
> The tree contains 95912503 bytes of data, including metadata.
> Excluding metadata it is 85301916 bytes.
>
> It's still less than 0.4% increase in the worst case.
>
> I like the 'EAPI' variant, as it's clearly seperate from 'EV', without
> being too long.
>
> To combat some of the increase, EAPI only needs to go into new ebuilds
> that use the functionality. Old ebuilds should default to the current
> syntax.

To allow for this to work with current portage versions, perhaps it would
be an option to introduce a new extension for .ebuild scripts that use
it's functionality. That would allow all non-EAPI aware portage versions
to automatically ignore ebuilds that use this.

Paul

ps. I would also suggest requiring that EAPI can be retrieved by a simple
line by line parsing without using bash. (This allows for changing the
parsing system)

--
Paul de Vrieze
Gentoo Developer