On Monday 20 Mar 2017 13:19:59 the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
> On 03/20/2017 12:12 PM, J. Roeleveld wrote:
> > On March 20, 2017 6:36:25 PM GMT+01:00, the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
> >> I have a small box "VIA Eden Processor 1200MHz" it runs my asterisk and
> >> hylafax but it is powered by those external 12V adapters (12V 5A).
> >>
> >> They don't usually last long, max 2-years or less.  I have a spare
> >> unit:
> >> Switching Adapter Power Supply.
> >> The box is in remote location so if it goes down due to PS I have to
> >> there and restart it, it shut down twice on me this morning; I think
> >> this adapter is going slowly.
> >>
> >> If find/connect 12V adapter with higher Amps 10A or 15A will it help
> >> extend the live of the these external power supplies?
> >>
> >> Or take one of the old PS from an old case and solder the tip to 12V
> >> line is better solution?
> >
> > Most cheap 12V adapters are just that. Cheap. I would invest in a quality
> > unit that is actually designed for long term 24/7 use.
> >
> > A higher amp might help as it won't be stressed as much. But also consider
> > adding cooling as it's the high temperatures and inadequate cooling that
> > kills them.
> >
> > --
> > Joost
>
> These 12V 5A adapters are small (~2x4x1in) external adaptors, they
> failed on my several times.  They are not design with cooling system and
> yes they do run warm especially when run 24/7.
>
> I even had standard case power supply fail on me twice, so yes I try to
> buy them with extra watts capacity and most importantly I always ask for
> one with Japanese capacitors.
>
> --
> Thelma

I had an old Linksys NSLU2 which had a PSU failure a few months after I
connected a large USB drive to it.  The USB drive was drawing more current
than the PSU could cope with in continuous operation (it was running 24-7).  I
opened the PSU and replaced the capacitors with higher rating components.
This lasted just under a couple of years.  After that I used a higher amperage
PSU from a laptop.  I can't recall the exact difference in amps.  The original
was 5V 2A and I used something like 5.5A, which lasted for a long time without
any problem.  BTW, besides the size also check the polarity of the pin to make
sure you do not blow the target device.
--
Regards,
Mick