Mick wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 Mar 2017 09:05:04 Dale wrote:
>> Danny YUE wrote:
>>> Just curious: why is top-posting forbidden here?
>>> I have never found any reference for that.
>>>
>>> I would appreciate it if you could tell me something about that.
>>>
>>> Danny
>> Here is one but there are tons of others.

>> 5147880
>>

>> Also, on this list, html is frowned upon as well.  Plain text is
>> requested, although some devices may not have the option.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)
> I thought the original joke went like this:
>
> A. Top posters
> Q. What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?
>
> A: Because it upsets the logical flow of the thread.
> Q: Why is top posting a bad idea?
>

> Anyway, Gentoo users often ask multifaceted questions which require more than
> a single answer.  With top posting we would need to send many response emails
> to respond with clarity to all points the OP may have raised.  With inline
> flow of the conversation is retained within a single response email.

I have actually seen that in people's sig before.  I can't recall who it
was and haven't seen it in a while.

I bottom post if it is somewhat a single subject or inline post if it
has more than one topic.  As you say, it makes it easier to know what
one is talking about.  I use what I feel will work best.  Top posting
tho, as your example/joke points out, makes it hard to figure out what
is going on, even if one is following the thread.  Of course, I also
realize that some devices make that hard or impossible.  Most who use
those devices say they are.

Dale

:-)  :-)