On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 9:10 PM, Daniel Frey <djqf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/28/2017 01:19 PM, Jorge Almeida wrote:
>> The point is: I connected the computers to the lan ports of my
>> secondary router (with original firmware, but I intended to install
>> ddwrt), and the setup works, except that the speed never reaches
>> 100Mbps.
>
> This is not unusual, the speeds they advertise are device to device
> (i.e. switched, not routed.)

That explains it, then.
Misleading publicity... I should have asked here before buying...

> As Mick mentioned, a lot of the all-in-ones don't have enough CPU
> available to route at those speeds. Some of them do come with hardware
> offloading, thus taking it off the main CPU but that itself doesn't mean
> it is able to route at port speed.
>
> I have the same problem, I had an old RT-N16. It finally crapped out and

I've been using an RT-N16 for years, and it still works fine. They
don't advertise big speeds and I understood it doesn't have the CPU
power to cope. I assumed a new generation router would do the job. Big
mistake.

I already checked that the ISP/Netgear router is not to blame:
connecting to a single computer in bridge mode yields about 150Mbps.

Thanks

Jorge

PS. I still would like to know what people in this list think about
having an ISP managed device as router, re security. Not that I have
any real option if I want the contracted speed...