On 170421-07:04+0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Thursday 20 Apr 2017 17:59:13 Walter Dnes wrote:

> > > I don't see any of those USE flags. This is from the octopus overlay:
https://github.com/Bfgeshka/octopus
where it sticks out (very much, for me, because I actively decrypt
rather often):
palemoon with system-nss support

which could be a good thing. But I'm not sure it would really be
necessary. palemoon-overlay with stock palemoon:
https://github.com/deuiore/palemoon-overlay
, which packages its own nss, not system's nss, and it hasn't shown to
be deficient, in my experience (but I'm not very advanced).

I'll gladly read more reviews if anyone is willing to share, about
octopus vs palemoon-overlay (which differently compile Pale Moon).

> > > [ebuild   R   ~] www-client/palemoon-27.2.1::octopus  USE="alsa dbus
> > > ffmpeg gtk2 official-branding optimize printing speech spell wave webm
> > > -devtools -gtk3 -jemalloc -necko-wifi -pulseaudio -shared-js
> > > -strip-binaries -system-cairo -system-compress -system-images
> > > -system-libevent -system-pixman -system-spell -system-sqlite -system-vpx
> > > -valgrind -webrtc" 0 KiB
> >
> >   That ebuild does things differently.  The other palemoon ebuild was
> > all-or-nothing for a bunch of system libs.  The octopus ebuild is
> > granular, allowing separate choices for system-cairo system-compress
> > system-images system-libevent system-pixman system-spell system-sqlite
> > and system-vpx.
>
> As I'm now on sys-devel/gcc-5.4.0-r3 I'll have to assess what to do next.
> That will be after I've finished sorting out another problem I have.

That's just fine. Take your time. I'll also be interested to know.
Maybe I get an answer to my questions (such as the one above) without
much (more) investigating myself about it (I myself often get lost in
the amount of learning to get the right things done).

Just in case, you can have more then one gcc, i.e. you can have both 4.x
and 5.x gcc, like:

# equery l gcc
 * Searching for gcc ...
[I-O] [  ] cross-arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/gcc-5.4.0-r3:5.4.0
[IP-] [  ] sys-devel/gcc-4.9.4:4.9.4
[IP-] [  ] sys-devel/gcc-5.4.0-r3:5.4.0
#
if you set:

# grep multislot /etc/portage/package.use/package.use.file
sys-devel/gcc multislot fortran
#

[if you set] the "multislot" use flag. I previously followed the
recommandation to build with gcc 4-x. I changed later.

Regards!
--
Miroslav Rovis
Zagreb, Croatia