On Sun, Sep 3, 2017 at 2:39 AM, Peter Humphrey <pe...@prh.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sunday, 3 September 2017 03:34:06 BST R0b0t1 wrote:
>> On Sat, Sep 2, 2017 at 8:49 AM, Peter Humphrey <pe...@prh.myzen.co.uk>
> wrote:
>> > A week or two ago I was investigating some other weirdnesses and at one
>> > point I zeroed out the first partition: the unformatted one containing
>> > the UEFI data. It took longer than I expected, having only 2MB to fill.
>> > I wonder if it strayed outside the partition...
>>
>> Are you trimming your drive?
>
> Yes; this is root's crontab:
>
> 9 3,15 * * *    /sbin/fstrim -a

I think a reduction in drive performance (when you are maintaining it
properly) is the best argument for being ready to replace the drive,
as this seems unlikely to happen to me unless the drive is actually
wearing out.

At the same time I have seen this exact situation fixed by a firmware
upgrade. Still, this seems more alarming than the other issues you've
described.