Am Sat, Sep 30, 2023 at 11:25:46PM +0200 schrieb Håkon Alstadheim:

> Den 30.09.2023 22:57, skrev Valmor F. de Almeida:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > For a while now (3 weeks or so) I have been upgrading the linux kernel
> > on a Dell XPS laptop starting from 6.1.41-gentoo (which is my current
> > working kernel) to 6.1.53-gentoo-r1. No kernel I have built since is
> > able to boot. I have been following the same method for many years: make
> > oldconfig, etc...
> >
> > The booting error starts at:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > * INIT: Entering runlevel: 3
> > [snip]
> > * Starting cronie ...
> > * Starting DHCP Client Daemon ...
> > * Starting laptop_mode ...
> > * Mounting network filesystems ...
> > /etc/init.d/netmount: line 45 /lib/rc/bin/ewend: Input/output error
> > /lib/rc/sh/rc-cgroup.sh: line 184: rmdir: command not found
> > INIT:
> > INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty"
> > INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty"
> > INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty"
> >

> Can you show /etc/fstab and the console-log for the entire boot? Seems /sbin
> is not readable. You sure you have the kernel modules loaded? Are you using
> an initramfs? If so, does that build without errors ?

The input/output error – to me – indicates a hardware problem. When you
mounted the FS by hand, can you read ewend? For instance with md5sum.

--
Grüße | Greetings | Salut | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

“If wishes were horses we’d all be eating steak.” – Jayne, Firefly