Am Thu, Oct 12, 2023 at 10:44:39PM +0100 schrieb Michael:

> > > And that may be contributing to the CPU usage. Slowing down the flow may
> > > make the comouter more usable, and you're never going to copy 26TB
> > > quickly, especially over ethernet.

> Why don't you test throughput without encryption to confirm your assumption?

What does `cryptsetup benchmark` say? I used to use a Celeron G1840 in my
NAS, which is Intel Haswell without AES_NI. It was able to do ~ 150 MB/s raw
encryption throughput when transferring to or from a LUKS’ed image in a
ramdisk, so almost 150 % of gigabit ethernet speed.

> > > If you're copying over the network, that will be the limiting factor.
> >
> > Someone posted some extra options to mount with and add to exports
> > file.

Ah right, you use NFS. If not, I’d have suggested not to use rsync over ssh,
because that would indeed introduce a lot of encryption overhead.

> > I still think encryption is slowing it down some.  As you say tho,
> > ethernet isn't helping which is why I may look into other options later,
> > faster ethernet or fiber if I can find something cheap enough.
>
> There are a lot of hypotheses in your statements, but not much testing to
> prove or disprove any of them.
>
> Why don't you try to isolate the cause by testing one system element at a
> time
> and see what results you get.
> […]
> Unless you're running Pentium 4 or some other old CPU, it is almost certain
> your CPU is capable of using AES-NI to offload to hardware some/all of the
> encryption/decryption load - as long as you have the crypto module built in
> your kernel.

The FX-8350 may be old, but it actually does have AES instructions.

Here is my Haswell i5 (only two years younger than the FX) with AES_NI:

~ LC_ALL=C cryptsetup benchmark
# Tests are approximate using memory only (no storage IO).
PBKDF2-sha1      1323959 iterations per second for 256-bit key
PBKDF2-sha256    1724631 iterations per second for 256-bit key
PBKDF2-sha512    1137284 iterations per second for 256-bit key
PBKDF2-ripemd160  706587 iterations per second for 256-bit key
PBKDF2-whirlpool  510007 iterations per second for 256-bit key
argon2i       7 iterations, 1048576 memory, 4 parallel threads (CPUs) for
256-bit key (requested 2000 ms time)
argon2id      7 iterations, 1048576 memory, 4 parallel threads (CPUs) for
256-bit key (requested 2000 ms time)
#     Algorithm |       Key |      Encryption |      Decryption
        aes-cbc        128b       679.8 MiB/s      2787.0 MiB/s
    serpent-cbc        128b        91.4 MiB/s       582.1 MiB/s
    twofish-cbc        128b       194.9 MiB/s       368.3 MiB/s
        aes-cbc        256b       502.3 MiB/s      2155.4 MiB/s
    serpent-cbc        256b        90.3 MiB/s       582.5 MiB/s
    twofish-cbc        256b       194.0 MiB/s       368.6 MiB/s
        aes-xts        256b      2470.8 MiB/s      2478.7 MiB/s
    serpent-xts        256b       537.4 MiB/s       526.1 MiB/s
    twofish-xts        256b       347.3 MiB/s       347.3 MiB/s
        aes-xts        512b      1932.6 MiB/s      1958.0 MiB/s
    serpent-xts        512b       532.9 MiB/s       522.9 MiB/s
    twofish-xts        512b       348.4 MiB/s       348.9 MiB/s

The 6 Watts processor in my Surface Go yields:
        aes-xts        512b      1122,2 MiB/s      1123,7 MiB/s

--
Grüße | Greetings | Salut | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

The severity of the itch is inversely proportional to the reach.