Am Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 08:18:14PM +0100 schrieb ralfconn:
> Il 27/03/24 19:58, J. Roeleveld ha scritto:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am looking for a way to synchronise a filesystem between 2 servers.
> > Changes
> > can occur on both sides which means I need to have it synchronise in both
> > directions.
> >
> > Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
> >
> > Also, both servers are connected using a slow VPN link, which is why I can't
> > simply access files on the remote server.

+1 for Unison. I’ve been using it for many years now to synchronise between
the four PC systems in my household.

> I use it just for that but can't say anything about the VPN bit, my
> servers are on local network.

Unison creates a local index of all files it syncronised. So when you move a
file around on one end, Unison will notice that because the file at the new
location has the same hash as the file at the old location. As a result, it
does not transmit the file anew to the remote host, but instead copies it
locally on the remote host.

Since Unison uses ssh underneath, you can use ssh’s transparent compression
to speed up the transfer.

--
Grüße | Greetings | Salut | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

If all people were the same, one would basically suffice.