On 4/16/24 7:15 AM, Michael wrote:
On Tuesday, 16 April 2024 11:55:20 BST Dale wrote:
If you update often, it shouldn't take long answer the questions.  If
you do like me and don't update often, it may take longer but no more
time than it would if you updated often and added all the time
together.  As far as I know, if one manually updates their kernel, make
oldconfig is the safest and recommended method.  You are prompted for
new drivers/options and can see if they apply to you or not.  If you
don't want to update that way, I think there is a kernel that does it's
own thing.  I think it is sort of like boot media uses.  If the time
needed to answer all the questions isn't there, that may be a option to
look into.  It's called genkernel.  I've never used it but read it works.
The sys-kernel/genkernel package will automatically build & install your
kernel and initramfs in /boot, but it will NOT prepare a kernel configuration
tuned to your hardware and desired options.  It uses a generic default
configuration safe for most circumstances.  The user can tweak the default
configuration to suit their needs and genkernel will use that.
I manually run make xconfig (after running make olddefconfig) and have genkernel set to not use it's default config, sticking to the .config in the kernel tree (/usr/src/linux.)  That's been working fine for me for many years.