On Sat, Apr 27, 2024 at 9:53 AM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I'm installing Gentoo on another old box.  To be consistent I like to
> use cgdisk, GPT I think it is called, to partition all my drives,
> regardless of size.  Thing is, Grub works differently with GPT than it
> does with the old DOS or whatever it is called, like fdisk does in the
> old days.  I did some research but still find myself in some muddy
> waters.  My take on some things I've read, I need a boot partition, not
> to be confused with the /boot for kernels, init thingys and such.  Where
> I get lost, most use gdisk.  I like cgdisk.  Before that I liked
> cfdisk.  Anyway, how do I set up that partition with cgdisk?  Any
> minimum size requirements or tiny is enough?  Does it have to be a
> specific type?  Does it need to be in a specific place?  Formatted with
> a file system?  Also, when I do grub-install, do I still point to
> /dev/sda or to /dev/sda1, if sda1 is the special boot partition?
>
> I tried to find a step by step howto with this info but the ones I find
> either don't work or leaves me more confused.  Given that the method is
> also aging out, it's hard to find good guides.  I'd be real happy just
> to have a link to a good howto that I can make sense of.  I can save a
> copy local and even print it.  Maybe someone has some notes that will
> help.  I just need something to help clear up the muddy waters.
>
> Thanks to anyone who has a link, some notes or something.  :-D
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

I think I'm not really understanding your request because I only
remember fdisk from the old days, and none of your cfdisk and
cgdisk apps.

If you're working with disk in your new old-box machine then
I'd suggest trying gparted as it pretty much does everything
I've ever needed. It's minimally graphical, can changes the
partition type and boot flags.

This is just one of a billion pages you might look at:

https://linuxiac.com/how-to-use-gparted-to-create-and-resize-partitions/

Wishing you the best of luck,
Mark