In this 86-minute presentation and Q&A, Robert Socolow and Bennett Foddy
discuss some of the ethical and moral implications of geoengineering using air
capture of CO2 and stratospheric sulfate aerosols.  In the first 24 minutes,
Socolow presents the arguments for how we got to the point where geoengineering
might be needed as an emergency intervention in the climate system and why
renewables and efficiency changes alone will be insufficient to prevent a 2
degree C rise from pre-industrial (the year 1865 is cited).

Four approaches to air capture using sorbents and enzymes are cited.  According
to Scolow, air capture, like other types of geoengineering presents a moral
hazard that might reduce the motivation to mitigate emissions even as a
proposed and not mature technology.

Stratospheric aerosols can be used as an emergency measure, but there are
negative consequences from abrupt cessation (the temperature rebound) and from
the burden of maintaining a long term program.  All the usual arguments
presented: wars, economic problems, negative side effects.

He says it is equally important to look at ways to get aerosols to work and not
just focus on the problems.  Twenty reasons for aerosol geoengineering anyone?
Bet that one doesn't get published.

Foddy uses a number of medical and other analogies from ethics to point out
that geoengineering could be justified since it would be used to correct a
problem we started.  Some of the discussion was apparently aimed at responding
to a previous talk by Richard Sommerville, who opposed geoengineering for a
variety of reasons.

During the Q&A, Socolow repeated the canards that aerosols will make the sky
less blue and reduce photosynthesis.  Again, too much reliance on conjecture
and not enough on scientific observation and fact.  Remember what we learned
about the THREAT FROM ACID RAIN from aerosols.

Socolow said he thought that small scale field tests would be helpful in
identifying problems with implementation and impacts.  This was discussed in
more detail at a meeting last summer he participated in along with other
researchers.  Their report is due out this month.  Two issues that were
discussed were ozone depletion and aerosol coagulation.  The first, I think
will be found to be tolerable and even negligible.  Substitute THREAT FROM
OZONE DEPLETION as in previous paragraph.  As to coagulation, this is a real
concern, albeit as relates to how much precursor would have to be used.

While it is true that Pinatubo injected 10Mt S into the stratosphere, there was
only 6MT remaining after 6 months.  The other 4 was probably removed as large
droplets.  Other possibilities are also likely with a man-made approach ranging
from no useful aerosol formed (gas eventually comes out as large droplets
months later), large droplets formed much sooner by adsorption onto background
aerosol or the two good ones, a Pinatubo-like aerosol formed or best of all,
new aerosol similar in size to the background aerosol that would require less
than Pinatubo-scale releases and last longer.  My guess:  a combination of all
four, with a Pinatubo-type aerosol dominating.  Field tests answer the
question, not meetings in Calif.

Interestingly, Socolow said that at that R&D planning meeting, the only
participant opposed to field tests was the "climate modeler."  Attendees as per
Socolow slide;  Steve Koonin (BP), David Battisti, Jason Blackstock, Ken
Caldeira, Doug Eardley, Jonathon Katz, David Keith, Ari Patrino, Daniel Schrag.

Note: it is unclear how to make the video play.  Just click on the symbols for
Real Player and Windows Media.  And if you can't figure that out, you are
hereby banished to the 20th century!

On my way to Schnare's talk.  I've seen a draft of his slides and have
recommended additional security for the speaker and others in the room in case
any "Gramscian" terrorists show up.

http://uc.princeton.edu/main/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=3743

      Prospicience (The Art and Science of Looking Ahead) and Geoengineering
(PEI series Pt 3)
      Speaker: Robert Socolow, Co-Director, The Carbon Mitigation Initiative
and Professor of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Princeton University
      Discussant:  Dr. Bennett Foddy, Harold T. Shapiro Postdoctoral Fellow in
Bioethics, University Center for Human Values, Princeton University     low
low
                high  high
      (Oct 14, 2008 at Princeton University)

      Prospicience (The Art and Science of Looking Ahead) and Geoengineering:
What If We Can Dial Our Future?

      As we gain understanding of the workings of our planet, we are
identifying planetary-scale interventions (like injecting reflecting particles
into the stratosphere) that might compensate for the unprecedented changes
human actions are already creating. Suppose side effects are judged to be
tolerable and ground rules for governance are developed that all nations
accept. We are still left with questions about objectives: What planetary state
should we seek? Should we intervene, even if we can? A textured understanding
of our long-term future as a species is needed. Might this be the territory of
philosophy?

      This is part three of a 5-part "Ethics and Climate Change" series
sponsored by the Princeton Environmental Institute (PEI) and the University
Center for Human Values.

      Professor Socolow's current research focuses on global carbon management
and fossil-carbon sequestration. He is the co-principal investigator (with
ecologist, Stephen Pacala) of Princeton University's Carbon Mitigation
Initiative (CMI), a $20-million dollar, ten-year (2001-2010) project supported
by BP and Ford. Under CMI, Princeton has launched new, coordinated research in
environmental science, energy technology, geological engineering, and public
policy. Additional interests include global allocation of climate mitigation
responsibility, efficient use of energy, nuclear energy, and geoengineering.