>From: Pete Hurst
>I have lurked for a few days seeing the flow of
>messages, as is good mailing list & usenet manners.
>I'm disappointed to see the amount of flaming going
on!

>Somebody please convince me this isn't normal!

I have been participating in the GML since March 2000.
 It is an exceptional list of exceptionally caring
gerbil enthusiasts.

Keeping gerbils beyond a setup of a single pair can
get complicated, and I think all hobby breeders on the
list have made mistakes or wrong decisions that ended
up in gerbil losses (I know I have).  People on the
list respond in a helpful and sympathetic way.  The
situation with Lisa P. is that since she joined the
list in May 2000, the combined total of losses and
situations is of concern to many.

Below are snips from the archive to give an overview.

My recommendation is that people look carefully at the
archive at all the messages in their entirety that
Lisa has posted in the past year and decide for
themselves.  (You can do a Search on anyone's last
name to see all of their prior posts).
http://www.mail-archive.com/gerbils@listserv.rice.edu/maillist.html

Then people can decide based on accurate information
whether they want to block future posts or continue to
receive and/or respond to them.

Hope you do give the GML a chance; it's a great list!

Donna
ABC Gerbils
www.abcgerbils.com

<Snips> from Lisa P. from the GML archive
5/16/00 - hi. my gerbil got out of his cage and when
my friend and i were trying to get him we acidently
rip a part of his tail off :

5/18/00 - I have a problem with my gerbil, she keeps
limping on her left leg.

5/22/00 -
       Hi, Just to let everyone know the 2 babies
Kateela and Marley had died :*(

6/05/00 - Kateela (female) never bit me when I first
got her, but Marley (male) did.
       Well acutually nibble. Now Kateela "nibbles"
all the time.

6/17/00 - My one baby gerbil just died and I am
holding one now in my handes because he is about to
die. I HAD THE HEATING LAMP ON TO STRONG.

6/18/00 - My gerbil father had 2 of his pups die today
:{

6/19/00 - Hi list, My one surviving pup is doing fine.

6/21/00 - Kateela and Marley had 6 pups in all (4
alive and 2 dead).

7/08/00 - Hi list, Cricket the 1 baby out of 6 that
survived has passed on. He was 23 days old today.

7/11/00 - Hi list,  Kateela (Pied Lilac) and Marley
(Pied Nutmeg) and 7 healthy babies today (June 11).

7/11/00 - I have named all of the pups. The names are
Fuzzy, Pinky, Baby, Arkey, Bluey, Nathen, and Ariel.
But sadly Baby is dead.

7/11/00 - Hi list, One of the pups, Arkey, has a cut
on its upper left arm. What should I do?  Put Neosporn
on it? O yeah. Bluey is about to die.

7/11/00 - Bluey has just passed away.'

7/11/00 - 3 more of the pups died. I have only 2 now.
The one with the cut did die.

7/15/00 - My cats.dog attack a mouse sometime last
night. The mouse was pregnanat. It
had between 3-4 pups. The mouse and pups all died :{

7/28/00 - Marley's nose is very red and I think
bloody. What should I do? He is too wild to pick up
and bites really hard.

7/29/00 - Please help. I did put neosporen on the
pups' noses. The parents bit to bad to do them.

8/11/00 - Hi list, Today I went to the vet to bring my
friend's hamsters in. It is a really nice vet. They do
a good job to. I found out my hamster has the same
problem as hers she brung in a few days ago. They have
a liver problem. I have to give it medicine through a
needless siringe.

8/12/00 - Kateela and Marley had 5 pups today, August
12.

8/14/00 - My one hamster Cottonball who had the liver
thing passed on today. :{ i think it was because of
the medician and he didnt have a liver problem. i
think he had wet tail.

8/16/00 - Hi list, Over these past 4 days 2 pups from
the forth litter born August 12th passed on. Fuzzy
from the 3rd litter died today also. she was almost 5
weeks old.

8/20/00 -  Hi list, My 3 pups that survived out of the
5 born August 12 are doing great.

8/22/00 - Hi list, I jus wanted everyone to know that
I got a new meber. It is an albino mouse.  I think
male. His name is Cheezer Chinker Plaeczny. I rescued
him since he was a feeder. I named him Cheezer after
the new mouse beanie.

9/09/00 - Hi list, Today Kateela and Marley had g iven
birth to there 5th litter of 8 pups!

9/12/00 - HI LIST, All 8 pups that were born Saturday
the 9 have passed on. She just wouldn't take care of
them.

9/14/00 - Hi list, I just wanted to let you all know
my almost 5 week old pups were attacked by my cat
today. They are in a plasctic container and my cat got
the door open and took 2 of them out. CRICKET2 AND
DOT, Thankfully I was there and he didn't even leave a
mark.

9/19/00 -  But, Dot was attacked by my cat. I was
sleeping and suddenly woke up.  He had her by the
neck/head. If I were to get there any later she
probably would of died. She is doing better now. The
dresser is now tied up in all sorts of knots. They
will be getting a new cage soon.

10/6/00 - HI list, Kateela and Marely  had their 6th
litter of 2 pups today. I was gone all day.  So sadly,
when I came back I couldn't find them. I even cleaned
the cage carefully. I know they ate them.

10/21/00 - Hi list,
Marley died today at about 2:30-2:45. Kateela chewed
off his hind feet. Now no one can get made if she
kills another litter.

10/28/00 - Hi list, It has been awhile since I last
updated. I am still very sad about what happened to
Marley. Kateela seems to be doing fine with out him.

11/5/00 - I think Cricket2 may also be pregnany. She
is very wild though…
Too top that off my Hamster, Peanut Butter, recently
died last Wednesday (November 1st). He would of been 4
soon which is old.

12/17/00 - Yes, Never, ever try this! I found out the
hard way. I lost my gerbil due to tooo many injuries
my hamster had left. The hamster had 3 small cuts but
the gerbil (who was white) was almost all red!

12/25/00 - Hey List, This is truley a VERY Merry
Christmas for me. Dot and Damion (son & daughter of
Kateela and Marley) gave birth to 5 pups.

1/21/01 - hey list, My pups have been attacked by
their parents. Only the 3 boys tho. the 2 girls r
fine. Rudolph's hind right foot was betten off. they
are only 4 weeks old.

1/23/01 - Mistletoe is doing fine. Berry can not walk
on his right foot. He just drags it. Is it broken or
could he have a damaged muscle? Rudolph (the 3 legged
one) will not eat from mom.  He is very weak.

1/26/01 - Hey list, My 3 legged gerbil, Rudolph, just
died in the middle of the night.

1/30/01 - Hi,
I took out a divider with my gerbils. i thought they
were ok because they slept in eachohters nest. They
also had been in there a week or more. This morning I
found Seva all injured. Cuts everywhere on his tail.
What should I do? i put neosporen on it. i have the
divider back in the cage because I have no exta cages.
I have only one, but my lizard's new roomate died of
mites so I took it outside.

1/30/01 - Hey list, Seva and Cricket [2] had 6 pups
alltogether. lisa& TFC

2/9/01 - Hi,
Cricket2's pups are doing good. There are only 5 now
instead of 6. She ate one. I found her water bottle
empty. Oops. She did try to eat the other
pups because some of them are missing parts of their
tails…
And finally Kateela. She is doing good. i finally held
her a few days ago without her biting me.

2/9/01 - Hi, I made a mistke. dot's pups are not
ok!!!!!! They must have got into a fight.
berry died. The others cant walk. I am holding
mistletoe. Hei s in bad shape.  help!@

2/13/01 - O because when I picked up my gerbil Dot it
was like she was shedding. Fur everywhere.

2/19/01 - Hi list, I just got a rat and need some
help. My friend has a snake that eats rats. Since it
hasn't eaten it she gave it to me. It is mean though.
When we were trying to catch it, it kept biting the
stick we had. I gave her a bath and she has calmed
down. She will let me pet her. How should I tame her?
She also may be pregnant.

3/21/01 -  Hi List, My rat, Kara, had 9 kits so for. 8
are alive and 1 was stillbron.

3/22/01 - Hi all, I thought I'd just give it  shot
here. i have 7 ratties availiable in 2 weeks. EMail me
for info on them. i am in Il and cant ship. If they
dont get homes they'll end up at a shelter or a
petstore (forr snake food).

4/14/01 - Now the off topic update on The Kara Clan of
rats.  I have 4 girls (including mom) and 4 boys. 1
boybabies did die though.

5/26/01 - KATEELA & CRICKET
They are doing very good. Kateela has stopped biting
almost. She is pretty good and can be handled for a
little while. Cricket2 still bites though. I can't
really hold her though. They are in good health and
Kateela turned 1 year in Feb.
**Update On My Rats**
My rats are also doing good. I have decided to keep
them all. I also got 2 new female rats named Little
Capricorn and Sayriel (Say-reel). I rescued them both
from the same snake I got Kara from. For all you
newbies who don't know, Kara was going to be snake
food, but kept biting. so, my friend gave her to me
knowing I had always wanted a rat. About a week later
she had 9 ratlets. 1 was stillborn and 1 died though.
**Mice**
My little girl mouse, Rainbow, died some time back. I
put Arcey (RC) in with Mousey. I am going to try to
breed them so neither will be loney.

06/20/01 - Hey everyone, My gerbils had no water in
one cage and sadly one gerbil died.

06/22/01 -Damion & Seva - biting problem.  Rat: Want
my rats too? I have 10. One is preggers tho. I got her
today.