I'd in general expect good C code to optimize a little better; and in
particular, decomposing an IEEE float is almost certainly more expensive in
Haskell than in C, because unions let you cheat. (And I recall looking at
the implementation of decodeFloat once; it's significantly longer than that
C.) But I have to wonder if that code would be better done with something
more native; the implementation may be a portable default, and you might be
able to find something x86-specific that is faster.

allber...@gmail.com                                  ballb...@sinenomine.net