On 07/22/2014 11:56 AM, Joe Julian wrote:

On 07/21/2014 11:20 PM, Pranith Kumar Karampuri wrote:

On 07/22/2014 11:39 AM, Joe Julian wrote:

On 07/17/2014 07:30 PM, Pranith Kumar Karampuri wrote:

On 07/18/2014 03:05 AM, Joe Julian wrote:
What impact, if any, does starting profiling (gluster volume profile $vol start) have on performance?
Joe,
According to the code the only extra things it does is calling gettimeofday() call at the beginning and end of the FOP to calculate latency, increment some variables. So I guess not much?

So far so good. Is the only way to clear the stats to restart the brick?
I think when the feature is initially proposed we wanted two things
1) cumulative stats
2) Interval stats

Interval stats get cleared whenever 'gluster volume profile <volname> info' is executed (Although it starts counting the next set of fops that happen after this command execution). But there is no way to clear the cumulative stats. It would be nice if you could give some feedback about what you liked/what you think should change to make better use of it. So I am guessing there wasn't big performance hit?

Pranith
No noticeable performance hit, no.

I'm writing a whitepaper for the best practices for OpenStack on GlusterFS so I needed some idea how qemu actually uses the filesystem. What the operations are so I can look at not only the best ways to tune for that use, but how to build the systems around that.

At this point, I'm just collecting data. TBH, I hadn't noticed the interval data. That should be perfect for this. I'll poll it in XML and run the numbers in a few days.
Joe,
Do let us know your feedback. It needs some real-world usage suggestions from users like you :-).

Pranith