On 03/09/2016 10:40 AM, Kaushal M wrote:
On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 11:58 PM, Atin Mukherjee <amukh...@redhat.com> wrote:

On 03/08/2016 07:32 PM, Pranith Kumar Karampuri wrote:
hi,
          Late last week I sent a solution for how to achieve
subdirectory-mount support with access-controls
(http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2016-March/048537.html).
What follows here is a short description of how other features of
gluster volumes are implemented for sub-directories.

Please note that the sub-directories are not allowed to be accessed by
normal mounts i.e. top-level volume mounts. All access to the
sub-directories goes only through sub-directory mounts.
Is this acceptable? If I have a,b,c sub directories in the volume and if
I mount the same volume in /mnt then do you mean to say I won't be able
to access /mnt/a or /mnt/b and I can only access them using sub
directory mounts? Or you are talking about some specific case here?
1) Geo-replication:
The direction in which we are going is to allow geo-replicating just
some sub-directories and not all of the volume based on options. When
these options are set, server xlators populate extra information in the
frames/xdata to write changelog for the fops coming from their
sub-directory mounts. changelog xlator on seeing this will only
geo-replicate the files/directories that are in the changelog. Thus only
the sub-directories are geo-replicated. There is also a suggestion from
Vijay and Aravinda to have separate domains for operations inside
sub-directories for changelogs.

2) Sub-directory snapshots using lvm
Every time a sub-directory needs to be created, Our idea is that the
admin needs to execute subvolume creation command which creates a mount
to an empty snapshot at the given sub-directory name. All these
directories can be modified in parallel and we can take individual
snapshots of each of the directories. We will be providing a detailed
list commands to do the same once they are fleshed out. At the moment
these are the directions we are going to increase granularity from
volume to subdirectory for the main features.
We use hardlinks to the `.glusterfs` directory on bricks. So wouldn't
having multiple filesystems inside a brick break the brick?

You are right. I think we will have to do full separation, where it will be more like multiple tenants :-/.

Also, I'd prefer if sub-directory mounts and sub-directory snapshots
remained separate, and not tied with each other. This mail gives the
feeling that they will be tied together.

With the above point, I don't think it will be.

Pranith