Hi Raghavendra,

> On 20 Mar 2018, at 1:55 pm, Raghavendra Gowdappa <rgowd...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> Aggregating large number of small writes by write-behind into large writes
> has been merged on master:
> https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/issues/364
> <https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/issues/364>
>
> Would like to know whether it helps for this usecase. Note that its not part
> of any release yet. So you've to build and install from repo.

Sounds interesting, not too keen to build packages at the moment but I've added
myself as a watcher to that issue on Github and once it's in a 3.x release I'll
try it and let you know.

> Another suggestion is to run tests with turning off option
> performance.write-behind-trickling-writes.
>
> # gluster volume set <volname> performance.write-behind-trickling-writes off
>
> A word of caution though is if your files are too small, these suggestions
> may not have much impact.

I'm looking for documentation on this option but all I could really find is in
the source for write-behind.c:

if is enabled (which it is), do not hold back writes if there are no
outstanding requests.

and a note on aggregate-size stating that

"aggregation won't happen if performance.write-behind-trickling-writes is
turned on"

What are the potentially negative performance impacts of disabling this?

--
Sam McLeod (protoporpoise on IRC)
https://smcleod.net

Words are my own opinions and do not necessarily represent those of my employer
or partners.