Niels Möller writes:

Sam Varshavchik <mr...@courier-mta.com> writes:

> Compatibility with existing code is trivial.

What about binary compatibility? I imagine namespaces are involved in
the symbol name mangling in some way?

(I'm no C++ guy, so I don't have any strong opinion on whether or not
it's a good idea to use namespaces in GMP).

Correct, and binary compatibility is lesser of an issue for C++ than it is for C. It's generally expected that C++ source is going to get recompiled after updating a library. See, for example:

http://boost.2283326.n4.nabble.com/ABI-and-API-compatibility-td2643120.html

Another data point: although recently gcc is trying to maintain its own libstdc++'s ABI compatibility across major branch releases, for a while the ABI was compatible only within a gcc branch release. Until some time ago, even if some particular C++ library's ABI remained the same, app code (and that library itself!) would need to be recompiled after updating gcc.

Additionally, gmpxx.so does not use versioning. This would also be a consideration to discuss, here.