On Thu, 21 May 2015, Torbjörn Granlund wrote:

GMP triggers bugs in clang on every platform where we tried this
compiler.  Some configs work, though.

To see how bad it is, please take a look here:

 https://gmplib.org/devel/tm-date.html

I think we would help our users by making it hard to use clang with the
next release.  What do you think?

My idea is to reject clang with an error message along these lines:

error: clang is not able to correctly compile GMP.  To override, use
--enable-clang.  Make sure to run "make check" and don't use the library
of this fails.

It is your call, but that seems a bit excessive to me. I just did a few tests with clang-3.6. It seems to work fine on x86_64, so probably on macs, where it is the default compiler and a large part of the user base is.

On powerpc-linux-gnu, clang complains about the bc+ instruction, and indeed I can't find that in IBM's documentation. After removing divrem_2.asm, it compiles fine and passes the testsuite.

aarch64-linux-gnu and arm-linux-gnueabihf are working fine for me.

powerpc64le-linux-gnu seems broken indeed.

I tend to consider that the usual "run the testsuite" message is sufficient, possibly with extra warnings in the release notes or some such place. But again, your call.

--
Marc Glisse