>>"Suspense" accounts are a user thing.  GnuCash doesn't care, and
>>indeed shouldn't care.  You can Process Payment into a Suspense
>>Account just as easily as you can Process Payment into a Checking
>>Account.

Is it useful to allow aliases for Account Types? Or to add a Suspense
type which is just a Checking type with a different name? Just thinking
out loud here

.Dan W.

Oh dear, making me sorry I ever brought the issue up. Look, I'm not an
accountant but have worked on systems that have to record billings and
payments.

Yes, some businesses do put "suspense" money into a separate bank
account (asset side of the ledger). But when I used the word "suspense"
I wasn't thinking about bank accounts but accounting accounts (see the
word "account" gets used in multiple ways). That sense of "suspense"
would be a liability type account to represent that this check was
deposited into one of the businesses bank accounts (asset) but the
money, or at least this portion of it is owed back to somebody pending
disposition and so is a liability.

What the disposition ultimately is not YET specified. Once that is
decided the item gets removed from suspense (counterbalancing entry)
when a refund check is sent back to the customer, an entry to their
customer account against future bills, or whatever action gets taken
(generally you have to contact the customer to ask "what do you want
done with the extra?" and the amount is "in suspense" while that is
determined). If you knew at the time the amount was being processed
where it was to go, just do that (no need for a "suspense" entry).

Michael