--On May 6, 2014 10:41:17 PM -0400 John Ralls <jra...@ceridwen.us> wrote:

That's unfortunate. It means that our strategy of merging instead of
rebasing isn't going to work.

I can't address the details until I get back from travel next week --
and it may take a few more days of catch up after that -- but I'll go
through the diffs in detail and try to repair any regressions.

Going forward we need to consider how to handle long-running and
deferred branches (private-kvp was an instance of the latter: I wrote
most of it in November and early December, but decided that we were
too close to final release to merge it). Obviously more and better
tests would help, but that's not a realistic prescription. Any ideas,
anyone?

There has to be a good way to do this since otherwise using topic branches in GIT would never work right. Clearly this isn't the case so there must be something we don't understand.

Rather than try to find and fix all the problems created, it might be better to revert the merge and figure out how to do it correctly. There are a lot of problems with the merge and fixing them all is going to be difficult and error prone.

          Mike