We have a FAQ on this issue:

http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Security:_Encryption.2C_Password_Feature.2C_...

Am 07.05.2014 00:40, schrieb Michalis Kamprianis:
Hi,
I can see in uservoice, and I think frequently asked in lists, the request for
encryption or password protection of the datafile.

Regarding database backends, I believe that database encryption should be used
if required, (although I understand that dbi may not be up to the task).

Nevertheless, for xml backend, I think that I could try to implement an AES
based encryption (on saving) and decryption (on opening), based on code from
aescrypt.
Aescrypt is available for unix, windows, mac, so the implementation should
probably be portable across platforms. The code is some gpl and some freeware.
Of course such a solution only protects data at rest (i.e. when data is read in
memory it is not protected. Log files are not protected. User configuration
files are not protected - at least initially, and so on) so it's not
transforming gnucash to the most secure accounting software out there, but
solves the problem with datafile misplacement or unwanted access.

The thing is, (a) I don't know if you're interested and / or agree in
implementing something like that, and (b) although I will probably manage to
code the open and save routines, I'm not sure I will not get stuck somewhere,
in which case it will either remain as an unfinished project, or I will need
some help from somebody more experienced.

Your thoughts?

Regards
Michalis

Herbert Thoma
Dipl.-Ing., MBA
Head of Video Group
Multimedia Applications Department
Fraunhofer IIS
Am Wolfsmantel 33, 91058 Erlangen, Germany
Phone: +49-9131-776-6130
Fax:   +49-9131-776-6099
email: herbert.th...@iis.fraunhofer.de
www: http://www.iis.fraunhofer.de/