> On Sep 16, 2016, at 12:50 AM, David T. <sunfis...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> John,
>
> Thanks for the time to give me these suggestions. Unfortunately, I kept
> hitting snags that would not clear up, and, since my contributions are
> sporadic only, I simply nuked the whole environment (again!) and started
> over. I simply couldn’t get past the “This repository is 27 commits behind”
> hump. I would rather focus on the docs than the git interface.

David,

"27 commits behind" is easy to fix. Assuming you're using the branch naming
scheme from the wiki Git page where your repository on Bithub is "origin" and
https://github.com/gnucash/gnucash-docs is "upstream":
  git pull --rebase upstream maint
  git push --force origin maint

That synchronizes both your local and github repositories with the "canonical"
repo. The --rebase option moves any local commits you've made to after those 27
commits in upstream, and --force replaces whatever is in origin with what's in
the local repository.

Regards,
John Ralls