On Saturday 17 September 2016 10:28:33 David T. via gnucash-devel wrote:
> John,
>
> Thanks for the Yoda-like confirmation. Glad that it worked.
>
> For what it’s worth, the light that went on was that I needed to watch
> carefully which repository (mine vs. the origin) and which branch
> (maint/master/my branches) were selected. I also was not noticing
> that Github changes from my forked repository to the origin when I
> issue a pull request; this change in perspective is disconcerting if
> you don’t recognize it.
>
> Finally, before I go and do anything else, what exact steps do I need
> to do on my end to ensure that my fork is synced with the origin? It
> would be nice not to nuke everything again because I messed up my
> fork.
>
> David

David,

The next steps would be these:

1. Since the changes were merged in the maint branch of the origin
github repository, you should "pull" these changes into your local maint
branch as well. Provided you haven't committed any local changes to your
own maint branch this pull should be straight-forward. That is
- check out maint in your local repository
- run the pull command (if it's called such in Source View).

2. For those PR's that have been merged, drop their corresponding
branches from your local repository and from your personal github
repository.
From your local branch should be easy via your GUI tool.
Dropping them in github can be done via the github webinterface. Go to
your repository on github and click on the "Branches" tab. That will
list all the branches you have created/pushed to your github repo.
Delete the ones you don't need any more.

3. If you already started other branches for other documentation
changes, now is the time to rebase these branches on top of the your
updated maint branch to ensure they are aware of the most recent
changes. I assume Source View has a command to perform such rebases.
Note that if some of these changes overlap with your previous work (that
is they make changes in the same documentation lines or the ones close
around it), git will detect this and alert you of a conflict. In that
situation human intervention is required to manually indicate what the
final end result is supposed to be. If you get such a conflict, let us
know so we can walk you through it. It should only happen if two commits
from different branches make changes to the same source lines.

After that you can continue to work on your changes.

Is this sufficient for you to continue ?

Regards,

Geert