> On Dec 15, 2016, at 5:38 AM, David T. <sunfis...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>> On Dec 15, 2016, at 9:18 AM, John Ralls <jra...@ceridwen.us> wrote:
>>
>> David,
>>
>> Do you think making the support page "Preface" material--so that it comes
>> either just before or just after "About the Author" might make it more
>> prominent?
>>
>> As for the copyright stuff, yeah, it gets pretty involved. I know a bit
>> about it only becaus
>
> John,
>
> The About the Author page, when rendered in print, appears after the table of
> contents (all 8 pages of it). When rendered online, it gets buried in “About
> this document”.
>
> Neither of these solutions is all that likely to be seen by the panicked new
> user who needs a desperate question answered quickly. However, I see that
> there are numerous spots both online and in the docs that point people to the
> lists, so it is clear that those who have made these misguided cries for help
> have done so despite the many recommendations to the contrary. Given all
> that, perhaps it is enough to have removed the email addresses for the doc
> contributors. Without those prominent points of contact, users will (one
> hopes) avail themselves of the lists, as instructed on the main gnucash.org
> page, and in the Guide.
>
> I am open to other ideas…

David,

You're right about it being after the TOC in a PDF/e-book, but in html "About
the Author" is the second link in the index page after "About this Document"
and the "Next>>>" link in the upper right-hand corner skips "About this
Document" and goes straight to "About the Author". Changing either of those
requires changing the XSL stylesheets that compose the DocBook markup into
documents and there isn't time for me to learn that before this weekend's
release.

Since I still get Google search results that point to the 2.4 version of the
manual I suppose I should back-port the changes there.

OTOH, none of this is going to have any impact on the users who push F1 on an
older release because they'll get the version of the docs that corresponds to
the version of GnuCash they have installed, complete with all of the emails on
the title page.

Regards,
John Ralls