Perhaps a bug, perhaps a feature. You’d have to check with the BZ devs.

I’ve seen some site security recommendations to NOT show a different message.

Personally, I doubt it really discourages hackers or makes their task harder
and it just frustrates a user who isn’t sure what address he/she signed up with.

Regards,
Adrien