> On Jun 2, 2018, at 1:10 AM, Geert Janssens <geert.gnuc...@kobaltwit.be> wrote:

>>> Git != SVN. There is *no reason* for personal branches in a git
>>> repository.
>>> Everyone has their own repository and can easily publish it on Github or
>>> similar services. That’s where personal branches belong.
>>
>> But why do we keep a "gnucash" repo at all and not only everyone's personal
>> repository? Of course there is some sort of project belonging. My proposal
>> is to still keep the 2.6 branch a little bit more alive, and one or two
>> maintenance releases might be spun off from there. I'd be the one who does
>> the housekeeping there, as discussed already.
>>
>> Nevertheless thanks for the pointers about building on Ubuntu 14.04, I'll
>> look into this for the time being. I'd still like to have the 2.6 branch
>> slightly longer alive, though.
>
> Considering you do offer to take care of that 2.6 branch I can live with
> having one. If John disagrees you may need to make it a core policy decision
> request and check for a broader opinion there.

I disagree for the user and contributor confusion reasons already stated,
because I think that the old Windows build system should be retired, and
because I think Christian has forgotten how much work goes into support and
won’t have time to devote to it.

If Christian wants to fork GnuCash to maintain 2.6.x, he’s free to do so, but
it should be clear to all that it’s Christian’s fork and not “Official"
GnuCash. It’s much clearer and cleaner if the fork lives in Christian’s own
public repository with its own bug tracker and its own support mailing list.
It’s 10 minutes work to set all of that up on Github, so what’s the point of
keeping it in the Github repository?

Regards,
John Ralls