> On Aug 24, 2018, at 10:18 AM, David T. via gnucash-devel
> <gnucash-devel@gnucash.org> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the hand-holding…
>
> Round 3. It looks like this one is on the right branch…
>
> Now, as for whether this process is easier than the older way, I am not
> entirely convinced. The elimination of the extra layer of maintaining the
> local repository and development platform is likely to make the web-edit
> process more generally accessible, however.
>
> There still remains the issue of needing to muck around with DocBook XML
> tagging, but as I have said before, that hasn’t my main barrier to
> contribution. It would be nice if a writer could do their edits in a word
> processor of choice and then pump out valid DocBook markup for inclusion in
> the docs.

That would be nice indeed, but the only such solution that I’m aware of is an
old plugin for LibreOffice and it doesn’t work very well; as I said earlier the
pandoc pre- and post-processing approach doesn’t round-trip very well either.

We could, I suppose, switch to docx format for the document source and use
either pandoc or a custom xslt stylesheet to convert that to DocBook, but I
worry that different word processors or even different versions of the same
word processor might make a bunch of extraneous changes to the document that
are invisible in the word processor display but would make for ugly change sets.

Regards,
John Ralls