John,

 I fetched GnuCash/gnucash from GitHub, then built the master and it works
fine. Checked out maint and built it and it
is failing to allow selection. I did a diff on the two versions of
import-main-matcher.c and as far as I can see the
only differences are the changes intoduced with the patch for 796778 to put
multiple selection into the matcher and
these are working OK.
I then setup a Bug796872 branch on maint and copied the
import-main-matcher.c and dialog-import.glade from the master
branch into maint then rebuilt maint and it works fine. I have pushed that
Bug796872 branch to my PR and created a pull
request to the GitHub Gnucash repository for it. If you want to use it, it
will also incorporate the fixes from
Bug796778 for multiple selection and assignment of the destination account
to the selection in the import matcher.

Cheers

David Cousens

-----