Just to add to it,

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retained_earnings: The retained earnings
> of a corporation is the accumulated net income of the corporation that
> is retained by the corporation at a particular point of time, such as at
> the end of the reporting period. ...
>
> https://dictionary.cambridge.org/de/worterbuch/englisch/retained-earnings:
> the part of a company’s profit in a particular period that it decides to
> keep, rather than paying it to shareholders as a dividend

And at some point if dividends are paid to shareholders, the retained earning
should account for that as well.

Many at time, small businesses pay dividends as a method of steady income to
shareholders. They don't divide the entire profit though. Hence the business
will still have retained earnings after dividends.

-
Regards,
Justin Mathew
mjus...@protonmail.com