Am 08.11.19 um 23:08 schrieb John Ralls:

On Nov 8, 2019, at 1:58 PM, Christian Gruber <christian.gru...@posteo.de> wrote:

Am 08.11.19 um 04:39 schrieb John Ralls:
Christian,

It's not that it's not prepared for Bayesian matching, it's that older versions
of GnuCash stored the Bayesian match tokens hierarchically. Aaron Laws (lmat)
changed it to a flatter structure with somewhat better memory locality for
faster access. imap_convert_bayes_to_flat should run once to convert the data
and set the feature, after which check_import_map_data will see the flag and
return. A file created with 3.x and Baysian maps would already have the feature
set.

With that background, to your questions:

Why does it take so long? Because it traverses the entire tree of accounts,
every time. The test book has 1127 accounts. Add to that that there are some
things inside the loop that shouldn't be and that
convert_imap_account_bayes_to_flat doesn't use some obvious short circuits and
you get taking a long time.

Why does it run twice? Because there aren't any accounts with import-map-bayes
slots, so it does no conversions so it doesn't set the feature.
Why isn't the feature set in any case after conversion is done, whether there
was any slot to convert or not?

I would expect that, if the hierarchical structure should not be used anymore.
I wouldn't only set the feature, if there has been any error during conversion.
But it's not an error, if convert_imap_account_bayes_to_flat() returns false.
The feature isn't set because that would prevent using the file with an older
version of GnuCash for no good reason: There aren't any import-map-bayes tags
in the new format so there's nothing for the older version to mess up.

Regards,
John Ralls

Sounds meaningful, but it's not obvious. The conversion process is not much transparent to the user. The user is not informed about conversion and additionally the conditions, when the GnuCash file is converted and when not, are not quite intuitive, I guess. And the second question for me is, if this is really a relevant use case to keep the GnuCash file unconverted if possible, when it is used with a newer GnuCash version. Maybe it's relevant, if several people, who use different GnuCash versions work on the same GnuCash file. But what happens, when one with a newer GnuCash version uses the bayesian import matcher for the first time, which silently converts the GnuCash file? Will it still be usable with an older GnuCash version?

But actually this is another discussion, which is not important for the bug ticket. What's more important, I created a new fresh GnuCash file with the SKR04 accounts template using my GnuCash version 3.7 and if I checked this correctly, even with this GnuCash version the feature GNC_FEATURE_GUID_FLAT_BAYESIAN is not set in the GnuCash file. Can you confirm this? If yes, then the bug report is relevant not only for migration from older to current GnuCash versions but even for current GnuCash versions in general.

Regards,
Christian