I was setting up a demo _book with USD as the default currency to create some
updates to the documentation on multicurrency section in the guide and just
duplicating the original book structure used to create the screen shots in
the current documentation.

I started a new book, selected USD as the default currency and created my
required accounts with multiple currencies, while the locale for my computer
is Australia.

In the account tab I wanted to display the Total (USD), i.e. the total in
the book currency in the accounts tab,  however the drop down list of the
headers selected using the down arrow at the right of the header row has
(AUD) appended to the selectable column headers.  Surely when I selected USD
as the default currency in the new book dialog, this should override locale
settings?

In the preferences Accounts tab I deselcted the  Default Currency for new
accounts as Locale and selected the Choose radiobutton  with USD (US
Dollar), then saved the book and reopened it. No change in the above
resulted although new accounts were in USD.

Screenshot attached.  The Opening Balances (USD) displays the correct totals
if prices are set in the database

Searching through the XML file I was unable to find any references to AUD so
it is clearly picking up on the locale setting however changing
/etc/default/locale to

LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en_US.en

or the same settings in

/etc/gnucash/environment

produced no change in behaviour after restarting GnuCash. I still get a
column in AUD.

David Cousens

-----
David Cousens