On 12/8/21 10:48 AM, john wrote:

On Dec 7, 2021, at 10:27 PM, Jeff <beastmaster...@hotmail.com> wrote:

On 12/7/21 11:38 AM, john wrote:

On Dec 7, 2021, at 1:40 AM, Jeff <beastmaster...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Since GNC is based on XML and MySQL, how hard would it be to upgrade to link the code to a MySQL database format for document saving (i.e.check images) instead of just an XML hard link to a file?

Even though there seems to be a limit on the number of transactions that you can convert from XML to MySQL. 3 years works, 30 doesn't.  I have 30+ in my ledger and cannot get it to convert from XML to MySQL. My dad's only has less than 4 years and converts fine to MySQL.

Saving to an image file currently limits you to one drive and a specific file.  MySQL would allow saving to wherever the database of images exists as a list of blobs.  Hard drive upgrades would be much simpler.

Again just curious.
There is no programmatic limit in GnuCash on the number of transactions that GnuCash can store using the MySQL backend, so you're most likely hitting some limitation on the server side. You can run GnuCash with --log gnc.backend.sql=debug to get details of the insert queries and server error responses; combined with your MySQL logs you should be able to pretty quickly diagnose the problem. If you find that GnuCash's backend is doing something dumb please file a bug.

As for document image links they're URIs so you can put them anywhere that you can access with a URI. A web server on your LAN is an easy to implement option.

Regards,
John Ralls

.

I understand the direct link to a file or URL but; how does one specify a URI?

URI means Uniform Resource Identifier, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Resource_Identifier. It's a more general term than URL, or Uniform Resource Locator.

Regards,
John Ralls

Sorry John Ralls, if my reply comes directly to you, my email client no longer lets me easily reply directly to the list only.

I have not been able to convert my data to an sql file, period. 30 years worth.  Works for other sets of books with much fewer years of data.

What I am after is a way to link images to a transaction but not via a specific filename.  Like many others I am sure, I'd like to access the images from any drive, including a replacement drive. I just had 2 hard drive failures back to back on external drives. Now not only do I have to hire a forensic company to try and recover them, I have lost all images saved to them.  And yes, they were both unfortunately system back up drives. 12 terabytes for those 2.

In fewer words, I need a method of attaching images to a stand alone database.  I have never had a successful build of GNC.  Some stupid mistake on my part I am sure.  I would be more than happy to write such program but I do not understand the GNC code well enough to change the image link from a file to a call to a standalone database program running in the back ground.

--JEffrey Black M.B.A.