I don't think the silo effect is a big deal. The main impact is on transferring
bugs and we gave that up when Gnome shut down its Bugzilla instance.
Cross-project pull/merge requests make no sense, so I guess your complaint is
that you can't use your Github account to submit a PR to e.g. Gtk because while
there's a Gtk mirror on Github it doesn't take PRs, you have to get a Gnome
LDAP account and make your MR (merge request, gitlab's name for pull request).

Based on what I see over at Gnome running a gitlab instance is a lot of work.
Plus even with the Gnome Foundation's compute resources it frequently bogs
down. I don't think we'd want to do that.

I'd never even heard of gitea or codeberg and I've encountered only one project
on sourcehut. I wasn't terribly impressed.

We could switch the git mirror to Sourceforge, which would get us the
code-browsing, though not as nice as GitHub's, and the merge requests. I don't
know how the edit/discussion flow works there, but I bet it's not as nice as
Github's either.

That leaves CI. Sourceforge doesn't provide it, so we'd have to set up our own
instance of something; Jenkins used to be popular but I don't know if it's
still considered the best. Regardless that's more time spent setting it up,
securing, and maintaining it.

Regards,
John Ralls