Sorry - and thanks for the helpful correction.
   I've been trying to enter the deposit transaction first (and was hoping
   that that would "force" it to be calculated first).  But I'll be more
   intentional and ensure that I consistently enter the deposit first. If
   the problem persists, I'll post to the user list.  Thank-you for your
   patience with a novice.
   Ed