On 3/19/23 8:46 PM, Alex Aycinena wrote:
Jeff,

What is the type of the account that this particular out-of-date-range transaction is listed for (i.e., Income, Expense, Asset, or Liability)?

It would help me to know in order to try to reproduce the problem. Is it an Asset or Liability?

From memory, for Asset or Liability accounts, the report is supposed to show: the beginning balance, all transactions for the year, and the ending balance. The beginning balance for the TXF code, that the account is reported under, should correspond to the reported amount on last year's return, the listed transactions allow you to verify that the change for this year is correct, and the ending balance is the amount to report for this year, once the verification process is complete.

Thanks,

Alex

On Fri, Mar 17, 2023 at 2:21 AM Jeff <beastmaster...@hotmail.com> wrote:

    On 3/16/23 5:39 PM, Alex Aycinena wrote:

        ---------- Forwarded message ----------
        From: Jeff <beastmaster...@hotmail.com>
        To: gnucash-devel <gnucash-devel@gnucash.org>
        Bcc:
        Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 01:18:08 -0500
        Subject: [GNC-dev] [GNC] Tax schedule report outputting
        entries outside of selected date range
        I'm trying to generate a tax report (federal 1040) for entry
        into my tax software, as I do every year and have never ran
        into this issue.

        Not sure of the version of GNC I'm running on Windows 10.
        Running Version 4.13 Build ID: Flathub 4.13 Finance Quote:
        1.5301 under Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

        Both versions are including a transaction from 07/02/2020
        when the date range for the report is 01/01/2022 to
        12/31/2022. The transaction of concern is listed as "Tax
        Report Only - No TXF Export".

        I have limited internet access right now so I can not confirm
        that this is a known bug.  My concern is that the report may
        also be skipping transactions from 2022.  I have exported the
        report as a pdf file with no options selected other than the
        time frame, and the transaction shows up there as well.  If I
        edit the options to suppress $0, no printing of full account
        names/action:memo data/transaction detail, and print TXF
        export parameters, the errant transaction shows up.

        Any ideas why?

-- --JEffrey Black M.B.A.

    What is the TXF code on the report for the errant transaction?
    '000' or ' N000'? That is the only TXF code that has that
    description (Tax Report Only - No TXF Export).

    If you go to the account that the report has that transaction
    listed under in the Edit->Tax Report Options panel, is the
    account set as 'Tax Related'? If so, should it be? And if it
    should be, should it have another Form/Schedule item selected? If
    changes to this account are warranted and made, does the errant
    transaction still appear or go away?

    Before entry into your tax software, you can get comfortable that
    the other Income Tax Report totals are correct by comparing the
    account totals to totals for the year of other reports. If there
    are unexpected differences (there shouldn't be), the transaction
    detail in the Tax Report can help you figure out what it is.

    There is a TXF code, 521 for 'Federal estimated tax, qrtrly'
    which has special date processing for calendar date ranges, as
    explained in the description for that code, to catch the Jan 15
    payment made the next year. Other than that, all splits selected
    to generate the report should be in the date range.

    In any case, I don't understand why a 07/02/2020 transaction
    should appear in the report if the specified date range is
    01/01/2022 to 12/31/2022. I will try to replicate the error with
    test data and look at the code to see if I can figure it out.

    Look forward to your response to my questions above.

    Alex

    The TXF code for that account is '000'.  This particular account
    was required on a prior years return (actually the number of
    payments was required, not the sum total) but; there is no
    corresponding tax form/line number for it, hence the reason for
    selecting "Tax Report Only - No TXF Export".  The only reason I
    caught it in the report, is that it was for Covid related income,
    and I knew that there was none in 2022.

    The 'Income Tax Identity' is set for 'Individual, Joint, etc. -
    Files US form 1040'.

    Just as an experiment I added a transaction for $1 into that
    account for '03/17/2021' and it summed it to the total as well in
    the report for 2022. If I remove the account from the tax related
    entries it disappears.

    So far, this one account is the only trouble maker that I have
    discovered.

    As for the TXF code, 521 for 'Federal estimated tax, qrtrly', I
    have not had to use it in years.  Now I remember why the need for
    special date processing (thanks for the refresher).

    Ah-ha.  I see what it is doing, just not how to get rid of it in
    the report, short of adding a t account to zero it. Most of the
    accounts that I have set for "Tax Report Only - No TXF Export"
    have transactions posted in 2022 and behave as I expected.  I just
    noticed that I have not manually entered the depreciation in some
    specialty accounts for 2022 so I end up with the last balance that
    the account had (irregardless of the date of the last entry), not
    $0.00 if no entries for 2022.  That is why the Covid payment is
    showing up, there have been no entries since it was posted so it
    gives me the current amount still in that account. Thus, any of
    the deprecation accounts that have no entries for 2022 are showing
    me misleading values for 2022 if they have never been updated or
    brought to a balance of $0.00.  I will have to manually go through
    every account of type "Tax Report Only - No TXF Export" and enter
    the balancing transactions that I missed.

-- --JEffrey Black M.B.A.

It is set for type Bank.  At the time I created the account I was not sure whether to treat it as an asset or a liability, as it could have gone either way. The funds came in from a government source, but the paperwork stated that it may or may not have to be paid back, "wait for future mailings".  That seemed the best choice at the time.

--
--JEffrey Black M.B.A.