> On Jun 4, 2023, at 8:52 PM, Stephen Cohoon <smcoh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have been using Gnucash for many years so I think it is time to
> contribute.  I have several credit card accounts from different banks that
> each take a different approach to how they populate the tags in the
> transaction download file.  When I import these files I often have to spend
> time cleaning up the description and notes fields, adding and deleting
> text.  In particular, one of my banks actually lets me set the memo field
> for a transaction through their web page and app.  I want this to appear in
> the transaction description.  I would like more control so I can specify
> more precisely how this data is imported for each account separately.
>
> I propose adding 2 options to the account edit screen:
> 1. Append Memo - when set, if the memo tag is populated then append that
> text to the name tag and use that combined text to populate the transaction
> description field.  Default is off in which case the present logic is
> invoked.
>
> 2. Suppress Notes - when set, skip the logic that populates the notes field
> of the transaction. Default is off in which case the present logic is
> invoked.
>
> These options function independently.
>
> I implemented this on 5.0 and tested it on my Linux machine.  While I was
> doing that 5.1 was released so I ported my changes to that release.  I have
> not tested on Windows since I don't have a Windows machine.  I do have Macs
> but I'm traveling and won't be able to build on that for another 2 months.
>
> I can create a pull request for review or post a diff if desired.  I think
> the correct step right now is to discuss this feature and see if it is an
> acceptable idea for the community.
>
> What say you all?

For the purposes of this mailing list, a PR is preferred.

What you're proposing should be asked on the user list so that the broader
audience can weigh in on whether this is a good idea, what other allied
features should be included (e.g. should it be optional for the OFX Memo field
to be written to the import account's split memo field instead of appended to
the transaction) etc.

Regards,
John Ralls