If you take out a loan (a liability), the amount you borrow is now in your
hands as an asset.

So if you borrow €1000, you have increased your liabilities by €1000, and the
amount you borrowed is perhaps in a bank account. The bank account is the asset
and the loan is the liability.

The entry for this transaction would be:

Debit   Assets:Checking                 €1000
        Credit  Liabilities:Loans       €1000

The accounting equation in its most basic form is:

Assets = Liabilities + Equity

What you’ve just done is this:

Assets + €1000 = (Liabilities + €1000) + Equity

Since you added €1000 to both sides of the equation, it is still in balance.

This is a very simplified explanation however. I would suggest finding a basic
accounting text, in print or online, to get a good grasp of the accounting
equation and how to record basic transactions. The GnuCash Guide will help you
enter transactions in the software, but it cannot by itself teach you
accounting.