On 7/8/2017 12:14 PM, Michael Luderitz wrote:
I have been using Gnucash for over 5 years, accumulating all the data in a
single file name. Opening the file and saving it has become more and more
time consuming. Is there a way to archive the prior years so that only one
or two years are carried forward in the active file?

There is no AUTOMATED process to do this. But there is a way to mimic the "new volumes" from the days of pen and ink on paper in bound books bookkeeping.

a) Run a "close the books" for the end of the period. Run a Balance Sheet report. Export/ import your CoA (it will be empty). Make a copy of the old file as your archive. b) Enter the opening transaction(s) using the balance sheet balances for all "standing" accounts (asset, liability, equity). This can be done with a single transaction (split on both sides) but you might find it easier to use two each split on just one side << this part of the process is very much like manually starting a new set of books >>

To look at your historical data, just tell gnucash to open that file (the archive file). I am always opening gnucash "no file" so get to choose which file I want opened because I am keeping several sets of books (and probably DON'T want to open again the one I last had open). If you have many of these archive files and frequently need to look at that year (or whatever) you might want to do likewise.

Michael D Novack

--
There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality
of the grave.