On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 21:39:43 -0700
John Ralls <jra...@ceridwen.us> wrote:

> > On Jul 24, 2017, at 4:01 PM, mike.m...@gmx.net wrote:
> >
> >   In about a year's time the UK taxman (HMRC) will only allow approved
> >   accounting software to transmit the transctions required by law to
> >   HMRC.
> >   The project is known as Making Tax Digital or  MTD
> >   No exact details or requirements to softwaremakers have been published,
> >   but will gnucash commit to MTD?
> >   If not, gnucash cannot be used anymore by any UK users.
> >
> >   Link:
> > https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/making-tax-digital/overview-of-making-tax-digital
> >

> It seems unlikely the we’ll have either the resources (as in developer time)
> or information from HMRC to implement this. If HMRC actually requires that
> account software be submitted to them for evaluation and approval  it also
> seems unlikely that they’d approve any FOSS program.
>
> That aside the page you cite says April 2019 and only for businesses above
> the VAT threshold. It looks like HMRC intend that they’ll collect information
> on individual taxpayers by other means so that individuals will have no
> reporting requirements at all. Since GnuCash is aimed primarily at
> individuals and small businesses it seems that most of our UK users will
> still be able to use GnuCash.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

Interestingly HMRC seem to be encouraging opens source

https://hmrcdigital.blog.gov.uk/2016/07/14/talking-openly-at-open-source-16/

And according to
https://www.ftadviser.com/regulation/2017/01/31/hmrc-reveals-who-won-t-have-to-do-digital-tax-returns/

"HMRC has clarified that all self-employed businesses and landlords with a
turnover of less than £10,000 a year will not have to keep their records
digitally or make quarterly updates".  Which includes me.

Mike E