The work performed should be handled on a vendor invoice between whatever
expense account you have set up for the purpose and a liability account set up
to ‘hold’ payments that are to be charged against their A/R (tuition and fees?)
balance. This is because you owe them for work performed. It is a liability.

Then you periodically or at any convenient time (perhaps when they perform the
work and you make the ‘vendor’ invoice) you ‘pay’ their A/R invoices using the
special liability account.

I don’t think Equity accounts are the best place for this in my opinion.

As for persistent business icons, I too think they should always be visible if
enabled. (and not just on the business specific tabs)

Best I can tell, you could keep open tabs for Customer/Vendor/Employee
Overviews as needed and have access to them that way.

You can assign some keyboard shortcuts yourself. I don’t have the doc link
handy but you should be able to find something on the Wiki or in the mailing
list archives on the subject.