On 12/11/2017 3:17 AM, David T. via gnucash-user wrote:
I would suggest reading section 4.4 of the tutorial, where the issue regarding
handling starting balance problems is addressed directly.
David

I would also suggest learning how to CORRECT errors, which in formal accounting is not done by changing/editing existing errors.

Let me give an example. Suppose you did set up your books using "starting balance" << as others have pointed out, some of us would NOT have done that but would have manually entered the initial transactions with a date before the start of the first period, usually the day before >>

Dec 31, 2016
Cash on hand     db    $500
Equity cr $500 (this probably part of a split amount if :starting balance was used --- a single entry for the total of all assets minus all liabilities)

Now on June 25th 2017 you discovered a jar squirreled away that had $100 dollars in it. How do you correct the starting balance? You can enter a transaction with a date of Dec 31, 2016
Cash on hand     db     $100
Equity cr $100 (I don't know what equity sub accounts the "starting balance" might have created since I never have used that, but if a sub account was created, use that) Your description for this entry would be something like "correction of starting balance because of money found in jar"

Michael D Novack

Michael D Novack