On Mon, 2017-12-11 at 16:01 -0800, John Ralls wrote:

> > On Dec 11, 2017, at 2:27 PM, Charles Sliger <c...@bctonline.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'm starting to migrate from QuickBooks to GnuCash.
> > I'm working my way through the integration issues with
> > Gnucash - Python - Postgresql
> > How would the GnuCash team prefer that I document this for the benefit
> > of others?
> >
> > I've got about 30 years of unix/database/network systems engineering
> > under my belt and without that to draw on I don't think I would be able
> > to work my way through this as the documentation seems rather sparse and
> > fractured.
> >
> > I'll have to document it for my own purposes anyway so let me know if
> > there's interest.
> >
> Chaz,
>
> Can you outline what you propose to document? Integration with QuickBooks
> doesn’t really make sense to me and SQL servers have plenty of documentation
> themselves as well as hundreds of books and websites teaching how to
> administer them. Repeating any of that in our documentation would be
> pointless.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

John,
What I will be documenting is the actual nuts and bolts process for
using GnuCash, Python, and Postgresql together.  Integration is probably
too strong a word right now but I see these three as being very
complementary.  While it might be true that all of the information is
out there somewhere, I have had to make a number of educated guesses in
the process of just getting GnuCash and Postgresql working together.
This was after purchasing and reading all three books on GnuCash and
spending a good deal of time with on-line research.  Most people are not
going to have the time to become dba's in order to reap the benefits of
an RDBMS such as Postgresql.  I find they can benefit from having the
documentation for something like this pulled together in a single
narrative.  Given that the average PC today can easily handle running a
combination like this, it seems natural to leverage the capabilities of
a database like Postgresql.
Soooo...  I just thought I'd ask if there was a place put this kind of
information and a process for getting it there.

-chaz
Charles Sliger
"No matter where you go... There you are... Buckaroo Banzai"