The num field[*] is for the check number or other accounting document.  (In a business situation, you always need to have some unique identifier between accounting entries and the physical or electronic documents that justify them in case of control (=audit).

[*] I say this because it makes sense in the context of accounting, not because I actually know what was in the developers' minds when they implemented it.

Jeff Abrahamson
+33 6 24 40 01 57
+44 7920 594 255
https://www.p27.eu/jeff/