Frank,

Read the wiki and spent better part of my day trying to generate a template,
but I am sorry to say I give up.

The wiki assumes one is familiar with xml and how gnucash uses xml - neither of
which I am comfortable with.

Here’s what I tried -

First I tried to look at my raw xml datafile to map the instructions from wiki
onto my datafile. But I got lost in all the encodings and tags and wasn’t sure
even after all that effort, whether each account needs to assigned a new uuid.

Then I tried exporting just the account tree - instructions say I should be
able to select just the accounts I want, but I found that no such choice is
given and the whole tree gets exported. Though this was a much smaller file
(because of no transactions), I noticed that tax table info wasn’t there (this
is also mentioned in the wiki as a drawback to this method).

I then saved a copy of my datafile with a different name (as suggested by wiki
to retain tax table info). I thought I will first clean up all the
accounts/transactions by deleting everything except the GST related accounts.
This opened up more issues than it solved. Some accounts could not be deleted
because it complained about read-only transactions (voided transactions) being
present. Others complained about conflicts with missing splits in scheduled
transactions (presumably because I already deleted one of the accounts in the
scheduled transaction).

I lost my motivation after that.

Having spent all day thinking about this, I am now wondering whether it would
have been a futile effort even if I had succeeded in making a template.

Reason being - my use case for GST is only a subset of what Amish laid out.
Even if we attempt to put Amish's comprehensive setup as a template, it cannot
be used by all GST users in India. What we have posted is only one aspect of
GST in India, mainly covering GSTR-3B and GSTR-1/2 components of the return.
Then there are other aspects such as -

- composition dealers
- e-way bills (launched recently)
- export related services and such…

Those require a different set of returns to be filed, so the account hierarchy
may be different as well. I am not conversant with the above aspects, so I
can’t comment on what the appropriate account structure in that case would be.

Perhaps it’s better to wait until GST stabilises in India before we can think
of introducing a general purpose template for all users. Or maybe, we are going
to need different templates depending on who the user is - composition dealer,
exporter, interstate supplier, etc.

Cheers,
Deva