I have an Investment Account which is a collection of stocks, certificates,
cash etc in two currencies.  I can get a report that tells me in my local
currency the current value of everything.

I would like to create a stock, fund, or whatever appropriate with 1 share
for which  I can manually update a single price representing the current
value of the entire collection.

Using the online guide I have tried creating a fund or stock but I don't
understand the process and can't seem to get it to work and even
ocassionally crashing gnucash.

I think I would like something such as:

Investment
  Stocks
    myStock  (I would like to manually update the price of a single share.)

I am using gucash 2.6.12 on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

I would appreciate it if someone can suggest a way to do this.