Thank you all for your quick responses.  It is nice to discover that
GnuCash's mailing list is very alive.

I am currently shopping for an Open Source personal financial-accounting
software.  I do not mind the double entry, but it bugs me that I cannot
reassign accounts at will, easily.

Since I am starting, I have only a vague clue of the accounts I want to
create.  I am sure that in a few months, I will want to reassign
transactions to different accounts, go more granular probably.  This is
normal for new users who are discovering the tool.

For instance, one user might start putting all automobile related
transactions under the account "Automobile".  But after a few months of
usage, discovers that it would be preferable to have
"Automobile:Gasoline", "Automobile:Repairs", "Automobile:Lease", etc...
There is no mean in GnuCash to reassign previous transactions with
description "Shell" to "Automobile:Gasoline".  Yet, for me, this kind of
feature is basic and expected from personal financial-accounting software.

GnuCash seams missing a feature for this kind of scenario.  I would like
to propose the following feature:

  Search and Replace accounts assignments.

  Dialog box that allows to search for transactions matching
  their description with a user provided expression and allow
  to change the accounts to which they are assigned to.

  The feature should support:

  - Normal and extended regular expressions (default normal).
  - Limit search/reassignments to one or more accounts (default current
account only).
  - Limit search/reassignments within a time interval (default -infinty
to +infinity).

Should I open an issue against GnuCash regarding this feature request?
Is it something the developers will consider or it goes against the
philosophy of GnuCash?

Best regards,
Hans Deragon