On 4/22/2018 9:38 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
E...... Thus, what in accounting terms is a
simple, un-split transaction, is stored in GnuCash as two
"splits" (one each for the debit and credit entries).

The reason we old timers don't see it that way.

In old pen and in on paper bookkeeping for each transaction there is one entry in the journal (with at least one debit and one credit) but just like with gnucash there would be at least TWO entries when posted into the ledger, one in each of the (at least two) accounts affected.

Gnucash is a ledger without a journal (virtual journal; gnucash can show it to you if you ask). It is doing just the ledger part. So to folks like me (who grew up doing bookkeeping pen and in on accounting paper) we don't see gnucash doing any splitting of simple transactions.

Michael D Novack

--
There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality
of the grave.