On 05/30/2018 07:45 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
On Wed, 30 May 2018, Maf. King wrote:

Yes, tedious unpost-repost is probably the thing to do.

Maf,

  There were only about 10 transactions in that subaccount. Three of them
were payments which I corrected in the checking account register, the rest I corrected by displaying the invoice, unposting, and reposting changing the
reporting account to 'accounts payable' itself. That removed all
transactions from the 'bad subaccount' register.

But if you delete a normal account which contains transactions, GC will
ask you if you want to re-assign the txns to another account or delete
them... Don't know if that will work for payables with posted entries,
which are generally read-only... no ham in trying (on a backup)

Rich,

I have my A/R set up as sub accounts. Here's how I handle it.

First, you'll want to click the box in the account edit section that says "placeholder" of the parent account. That tells GNUCash that it is a parent account and cannot contain transactions. if you absent mindedly attempt to post something to it, it will give you an error message. That has saved me more than once from posting an invoice (or bill in your case) to that parent account.

The downside of this is anytime you post a new invoice or bill, you'll have to set the right account in the posting account field. From then on, it will default to that account the next time you post to it, at least on the A/R side of things.  But the really annoying thing about it is every time you want to run a report, you have to set the right account in the report, like the A/R aging report. But I have a rather large credit in A/R that i wanted to separate out, is why I did it. I plan on consolidating those back together once that credit is cleared. But for now, I need it to see that actual total of what I have in A/R without having to adjust for the credit all the time.

Hint: if you want to make sure all your payments are going into the same account as your invoices, first open the invoice you want to pay, then click on the payment option (either icon or from the menu), and it will post to the same account.

--
Rick Copple